Monday, April 27, 2009

Pablo's In Surgery

In the triage room, Jo Ann and I held up our palms and asked Pablo to punch as hard as he could. We asked him to say 'Get out of my body, Bumps! You're not welcome anymore!'

Our little angel made the surgery hall separation easy this time. He fell asleep on his own while waiting in the pre-op. As he slept, Jo Ann, Grady and I leaned onto his bed. We kissed his head, whispered prayers into his ear, and let the moments pass. I quietly sang the first half of David Bowie's 'Life On Mars' into his ear. Couldn't remember the second half.

Sometime in the middle of all that, Dr Stein explained the procedure to Jo Ann and I, and made an ink marking on Pablo's side. I signed the surgery consent form. Dr Stein's team of top-notch assistants, nurses and anesthesiologists filed in one after the other, each explaining their aspect of the procedure. Even though we've been through five or six other surgeries, I appreciated the detailed info. The care and consideration from Dr Stein's team allowed us to jump from one moment to the next, one foot in front of the other, one step at a time.

Dr Mascarenhas popped up to see us in the pre-op as well. Of course, his presence made us feel secure. He is our guide.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just spent a few hours straight reading the blog, it was sent to me by Charlotte Martin. My HP who I choose to call God is with all of you...continued prayers of healing...strength...courage...clarity & peace sent your way....

Amy E.
Illinois

jhaygood said...

good to see you yesterday - even briefly - and all good thoughts going your way. love to all...

Margy Farley said...

Sending positive thoughts to your family.

Margy Farley

www.caringbridge.org/visit/aidanfarley

The Hearne Family said...

We're with you. We're praying our hearts out for you all... following that Beacon of Hope so that we can keep Pablo on a path of complete healing!!

Our love, thoughts and prayers,
Tish, Bob & family

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Stay strong!!!!

Jen

Anonymous said...

All of our thoughts and prayers to Pablo and his loving family.

Pete & Kiyomi Rosenzweig

ed Gutentag said...

Jeff,
I have been keeping track on your blog,
prayers, thougths of good things to come
Ed Gutentag

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking of Pablo all day. Only the highest thoughts.

k

Anonymous said...

wishing you continuous showers of prayers and love to you and your family