Friday, July 10, 2009

A Ray Of Pablove From North Carolina To Honduras

When we started the Pablog at the beginning of Pablo's treatment in May 2008, many people sent us stories about how word of Pablo's plight reached across the city of Los Angeles. We were amazed to hear this, and still are. As the months wore on, Pablo's story reached across the U.S. and world, through our family in Chicago, New Orleans, Milwaukee and friends in London, Sydney, Paris and beyond. We were amazed when this started taking root, and still are. Lately, the Pablove light has spread far beyond our circle of friends and their friends and their friends' friends. And this has us utterly speechless.

In the past 13 months, many 'you're never gonna believe who was talking about Pablo' stories and anecdotes have found their way back to us. The one below sort of epitomizes all of them, and we wanted to share it with you. This story is from our friend music video / TV / film director Liz Friedlander.

Check it out:

Just wanted to drop you a note to recount something that happened today that I thought you might be interested in. I am currently shooting in North Carolina. I walked into the office today and overheard the transportation coordinator talking to his brother in HONDURAS about Pablove. he didn't know that i have been following your blog. He didn't know Pablo, or you or Jo Ann. He's not tied to anyone in LA.

He's a cycling fan. He saw Lance's blog. He saw the chalkbot this morning & he starting searching the Internet. For Pablo+Grady & Jo Ann, etc...based on Lance's cycling blog entry. He somehow found your blog & had started reading it in its entirety. He then got the whole office to look at it & was phoning his brother in Honduras to do the same.

Pablove is spreading. I mean, it's really taking on a life of its own & affecting so many of us. Please keep it coming - in a world where it is so easy to get isolated & alienated from one another, it's awakened a compassion for humanity in all of us. Reminded us that we don't - can't - live in a vacuum. It's made us all care.

As I left the office this guy turned to me and asked, "Have you been looking for doves and butterflies?"

"Yeah," I chuckled. "I have."


Love and peace to you & your family,

Liz

11 comments:

Carlina Muglia (holdin it down for Athens, GA) said...

Jeff, thats some powerful stuff right there!!

Lisa Hickey said...

Wow, I love that! The Pablove mural certainly says it all “Pablove One Another.” This is all because of little Pablo, whose very big life touched so many of us in a very short time. I listened to the Eulogies performance on KCRW yesterday. It was awesome and I love your idea about riding across the country. I can’t wait to hear more about that. My family is watching the Tour de France everyday. We’re big fans, but for me, there’s an even bigger meaning behind it now. I know who Lance is riding for and I appreciate it and I’m rooting for him everyday. I came to learn about Pablo and your families’ fight about six months ago when I worked at the Foundation of Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. My family fell in love with Pablo and we’ve checked in on you all everyday since then. We aren’t going anywhere and I will support The Pablove Foundation however I can, because I know it will make a difference in so many children’s lives. What an awesome, beautiful way to honor Pablo! I also wanted to say Thank you from the bottom of my heart for extending an invitation to visit Pablo. My boys and I will do that very soon and we’ll bring Pablo some sweet smelling flowers. We miss him too! Much love!

Anonymous said...

That's what I'm talking about. That just gave me major goosebumps.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Had a dream last night that my son, Jeremy, and I visited you, Jo Ann and Grady. Your house was full of love and it was a time of thanksgiving.

Sending good thoughts your way...

Jenefer

greg siegel said...

I am haunted by the love, sadness, brilliance, and an utterly compelling memorial and funeral. I cannot begin to comprehend the words and emotions I witnessed. Every last word you spoke was perfection.

Jeff (and I mention you because you're the one I know): I don't know where you get the words, courage and unimaginable strength to do what you do. I want to scream it is so sad yet utterly inspiring. Listening to your advice, thoughts, testimony, I couldn’t think of anything more moving. I have a 6 year old boy as well born in 2003 only three months apart as you may recall (delivered by the same doctor in fact). He even visits Chicago where his mother is from and family still reside. All these random similarities! I remember us talking about our boys years ago (2005 I believe?) at breakfast sharing stories about having kids for the first time. You are a fantastic father, human. Truly you are. The love and intelligence you exude makes me think, well it's difficult to put into words so I simply commend you. A swell of emotion, one of a kind. You deserve to know this.

Family and children and the journey have given you this voice to tell all of us what we kinda know but didn't understand. It now has real meaning.

I deeply admire all of your grace and eloquence honoring your son and family and life. It's touching. Your speeches, your words describe everything I could ever imagine, I can barely do justice in letting you know how powerful they are. You love Pablo so much as did he love you. His ears have to be burning with the love you have for him. It's undeniable. I’ve never seen anything like this. You said we can say anything and not stay quiet and be real, and so I hope I haven’t said too much or too little or anything to make you feel sadder. If I can even distract you from thinking about other things so be it.

I just can't stop thinking about you guys and my head spins. Love to all of you.

Unknown said...

The power of love and light that is Pablove. Keep it coming!

xx Lynn

Jules said...

What a sweet letter. I think she describes well how we all feel! I'm on the constant lookout for butterflies, deer, doves, etc. In fact, while cycling in a park the other day, there was a very playful little squirrel who kept darting around my bike. For some reason, I immediately thought of Pablo - he's everywhere!

Anonymous said...

Two doves have recently taken up residence on our back porch. Two little eggs waiting to be hatched... Two little lives to remind our girls of Pablove...

Anna said...

...and the ray goes all the way to Athens, Greece as well! Been following the blog for several months, we are friends of Hrishi's living here. Even though we've never met, I think about Pablo + all of you daily.

In Greek when someone passes they say 'Αιωνία του η μνήμη' (aioNIa tou i mNImi) = May his memory be eternal'.

The Scootabaker said...

Jeff, Jo Ann, Grady... I must thank you for having me and Michael in your home and sharing your love, affection, and stories of Pablo with us. Pablo's memorial and service were so incredibly beautiful, Pablo is so damn lucky to have you guys for his family. There are people out there so wanting of the love that Pablo has had in his life. I'm truly glad Michael introduced us and if there is any occasion you guys get a hankering for a Blueberry Galette, I'm just down the street and can quite easily drop one or five off at your doorstep!

PS-I posted the "Pablo Blueberry Galette" in remembrance of Pablo on my blog!

Love,
Heather Wong

The Scootabaker said...

PSS- That Pablo Blueberry Galette post is here http://thescootabaker.blogspot.com/2009/07/blueberry-and-lemon-gallete.html