Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Pendulum Swings Back

This morning, Pablo and I got to CHLA shortly before 8. We found our bed, dropped our bags, and got through registration, triage and X-ray by 8:24. In our world, this is something to be excited about. By 8:45, Pablo's port was accessed, and his blood drawn and on its way to the lab somewhere in the hospital. We put his sheets from home on the bed, and turned on Jo Ann's computer so P could watch a movie. Jo Ann arrived minutes later. We were getting settled in, ready for a long day of chemo. Jo Ann asked what I'd seen on the X-ray screen (these things are all digital now). I told her it was hard to tell if there was a variance in the size on the monitor. We sat and waited for our nurse to tell us Dr Mascarenhas was ready to see Pablo.

A few minutes later, we were walking down the hallway. We were assigned to an exam room we haven't been in since the earliest of days. I had a good feeling about that. Most of the bad news we've gotten has occurred in one or two rooms at the other end of the clinic. This room, I thought, is clean. Dr M walked in. He started in his usual way—'I looked at the X-rays and...' My heart sank—I wasn't sure I was ready for the rest of that sentence. Thankfully, he didn't stop in the middle of the story. He continued on, 'and the tumor on the left side has shrunk around 50%.'

Jo Ann screamed. It was a joyous scream, I can assure you. I knelt down in front of Pablo and hugged him. He was smiling, ear to ear, but he didn't hug me back. His smile was one of 'Wow, Mommy's going crazy and she's happy.' It was cute. A minute later, it hit him. And he kept smiling.

After the smiling and screaming, Dr M went on to say that there's still a bit of fluid on the right side. The tumor isn't visible in an X-ray, due to the fluid, but a reduction in the fluid is evidence of shrinkage. We'll take it. When it comes to good news, we don't need to be precise about it. Good is good is good. F it!

One other big chunk of goodness is that P's platelets aren't quite high enough today for chemo. So we got our Tuesday back. We got to head outta there after only one hour. We got to go out into the world, into the sun and cool, fresh air, and celebrate this great news. Chemo's been rescheduled for Friday.

The first stop on the great news train was Toys R Us. The nurses had sung happy birthday to Pablo, and gave him a Captain Jack Sparrow key chain, and a Toys R Us gift card. So, naturally, P wanted to head straight there to spend it. Wise boy! He got a marshmallow blaster, a giant Playmobil set and a couple Playmobil Viking dudes. And the gift card was for $5. Good thing he was accompanied by Mommy and Nana.

More later....

36 comments:

Chip Adams said...

Such great news!!!! Go Pablo Go!!!!!

Jules said...

Amazing news! Puts a smile on my face today!!

Lizard Eater said...

Crying with happy here!

Anonymous said...

HOORAY!! Great news! Way to go Pablo! Best Birthday/Father's Day gift ever! xoxo Jen&Nils

Unknown said...

Prayers being answered.
Continue P.U.S.H. (pray until something happens)
JOY!
Pam W.
Chesterfield, MO

Anonymous said...

Scream all you want JoAnn. This is FABULOUS NEWS!!!!!

Debbie Graham

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news!!!!!!! I share your joy!

Jenefer

Brian said...

tear (or three) of joy from me, guys. Bless you all. Viva Pablo! Brian McPherson

Jen said...

I just got goosebumps when I read this post! HUGE news!! :D

Anonymous said...

Crying happy tears here and the prayers continue. Happy Birthday Pablo! ~Cindi Peters

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! Keep it comin'.

XXOO,
Stephanie and Crew

Stephanie said...

Tears in my eyes and a smile on my face. Keep up the good work , will ya!

Michael Toiorock said...

Fabulous news!!! Pablo, keep truckin'

Go Nicole Yourself said...

Gasps and tears from over here! Majorly good news.

Dawn: said...

Wow, what amazing news! If I wasn't at work I'd be screaming too.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news! So happy to hear it! All my love to all of you! We are screaming & crying with joy!
xo Allison, Paul, Bruno & Thea

TRAcy said...

I AM AT WORK and I AM SCREAMING!!!
FANTASTIC!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU PABLO!!!!!

GO TEAM PABLO!!!!

Tiwanna said...

Awesome News!! Go PABLO!! 3 mins a day! A.F.Did It, and he is gonna keep A.F. Doing It!

MKPatrick said...

There are good birthday gifts...THEN THERE'S THIS GIFT!!!! YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Love & Light,
Mary Kay, Matthew, Luke & Amelia

Lisa Hickey said...

OH MAN THIS IS THE BEST NEWS ALL DAY FOR ME!!!!!! I'm smiling and crying too! I love it that the kids like it when us Mommies go crazy! In a silly kind of way it's sweet, right? You guys are awesome! Let's keep it going. I agree....let's continue the PUSH! 3 minutes from me everyday!!!! Sending love and good vibes always.

Les Popoviches said...

YAYYYYY! YAY YAY YAY and YAY!

Tish Hearne said...

We're screaming and smiling with you at this spectacular news!!

Happy 6th birthday, Pablo!! Keep up the great fight; I can feel the momentum, and we will never cease with the prayers!!

With so much HOPE,
Tish, Bob & family

P.S. Jeff - You're an amazing writer; I hope to read a book of yours someday... a best seller, no doubt!!

Anonymous said...

Yes! That's what I'm talking about. More prayers and meditation coming at ya.

ox, eliz h

Heather said...

Did you hear me screaming from Camarillo!!!Oh ..My ...Gosh!!!Go Pablo go!1Have an awesome week with out the "juice" and enjoy all those fabulous Toys R Us finds!!Love you all.

Unknown said...

As a Dad of a Wilm's patient - continued blessings to you...

Unknown said...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is SUCH good news - hugs and kisses and LEAPS of joy all around!!

Allan H said...

AWESOME..keep the good news coming.. And two big thumbs up!!!

Pam Radtke Russell said...

So HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY for you!!

chad said...

smiling here in Texas as well!!

Anonymous said...

Tears of joy streaming down my checks as I write this!!! This is awesome news!!! :)

Unknown said...

Smiles and huge relief here in Sierra Madre!! Go Pablo!
We are PUSH- ing with you!! Kavanaugh family

Anonymous said...

I'm just awestruck and so thrilled to hear this news!!! Continued prayers...

Molly Böttcher

Carlina said...

tears of joy in my eyes. keep up the good work everyone!

vdingy said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! Fantastic!

xxxxooooo
Mr Wiggles and DingDong

Anonymous said...

Absolutely Fantastic News! Continued good thoughts coming your way!

Kindest regards!
Travis

everysilverlining said...

Awesome news -- sending all good wishes to you, Pablo, and your wonderful family Love, Hugo