Wednesday, July 30, 2008


Duuuuuuuuudes.... When that baby hit, we were in the radiology lab. Pablo was on the bed of the scanner, and Jo Ann was leaned over him, giving him a hug and a kiss. I was putting on the lead apron. And that's when the whole place started to shake–er, roll....

Here's something crazy we learned yesterday: the hospital is on rollers. So when the earth started shaking, we didn't feel a violent rip like most people did. We felt a tripped-out summertime roll. And the quake felt like it lasted for looooonnnnng time–maybe a full minute. Long enough for Jo Ann and the nurses and I to comment on what was happening. It felt like we were in a giant train car that was going over some rough tracks. It also felt like being the compactor from Star Wars....

In the end, we picked up Pablo, and stood in the doorway with one of the CT techs. Very uneventful way to follow up a REAL earthquake!

We are OK, everyone we know is OK, and we don't know anyone in Chino Hills but we offer them our prayers and bestest thoughts. Plus, the singer from the Deftones is named Chino and I love the Deftones.

After all the shakin' we returned to the oncology lab, and met with Dr. M (more on that later today when I have more time to write), and Pablo eventually got his chemo. Yesterday was a Red Devil day. That's the super-charged gnarly red liquid he will get every three weeks. Last time he got it, he was coming off his first major surgery. The combined effect of those two things on Pablo was immense. Roughly speaking, it took him two weeks to get back to normal. He's been back to his normal, kooky, rambunctious self for about three weeks, and we LOVE IT! So we are hoping the Red Devil won't kick his butt too badly this time around. At least he's not dealing with the physical oddity of a surgery as well on this dose of Devil.

Pablo was OK after chemo last night. Sleepy and chilled out, but OK. Jo Ann put him to bed after he fell asleep on the couch. He woke himself up around 8:30, and walked upstairs. He felt like he was going to throw up, so he came up for his little Tupperware container that we use to catch that kind of stuff. Jo Ann and Grady were sitting down to watch 'Beverly Hills Cop' at that very moment (Mommy indoctrinating son into the '80s), so I went down to bed with Pablo.

He waited for my to take a quick shower, playing with his snow cat and Captain Off The Hook. As soon as I laid down next to him, he snuggled into me, closed his eyes and fell out.

THAT is amazing.

OK, gotta run....meeting two friends in Griffith Park for a coupla hours of cycling.

Jo Ann and I have started writing a big post about yesterday's CT scan and an update on our surgery plan. We are hoping to post that before bed tonight.


1 comment:

Jules said...

I'm glad to hear you guys are safe, I've been following your blog for a while now. Pablo is a beautiful boy and I have all the faith & confidence that he will pull through this with flying colors! Your family will be that much stronger when it's all said & done.

On a side note (and totally unrelated), I too am a huge fan of the Deftones, it's nice to find a fellow fan. Chino's fantastic, I've seen him about 10 times in the past 12 years! ;-)

You all are in my thoughts...